Name: Sam and Candice
Location: Skokie, IL
Size: 1500 square feet
Years lived in: 1 — rented
In 2006, our color contest winning entry was the home of Peter and Marilyn in Skokie. Six years later we're revisiting this near north suburb with the great views, sun-drenched warmth and simple yet strong interior colors of Candice and Sam's place.
With more windows than walls, this couple has a good problem: limited space for hanging cherished objects and new pieces, but views that stretch for miles (and that let in the kind of incredible light that shows any bit of dust). To deal with these home realities and sink into their new home and surroundings, they've put clear limits on what comes into their home, made some slow and big purchases that really stand out against their outdoor backdrop, and they clean like crazy. This couple strove for a contemporary look that was cozy and livable, and they've accomplished it, despite only living in their place for a year (and that year has been about wedding planning first, home design second). Congrats on both, Candice and Sam!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Contemporary
Inspiration: We love modern and contemporary design. We wanted to make our home have that modern look and feel, while keeping it cozy and livable. All the credit goes to my wife though, she really did everything for our apartment, and I just followed her lead.
Favorite Element: We were lucky enough to get a place with a great view, so we've tried to obstruct it as little as possible. We love our travertine coffee and console tables, which were actually floor models so we got them at about half price. We also love our big white Natuzzi sofa in the living room. They shipped it in from Italy, and we waited 6 weeks for it. When it came in, there was some scrapes on the leather from shipping damage, so they were nice enough to ship it back and send a new one. We ended up waiting 2 months for it, but it was worth it!
Biggest Challenge: The biggest challenge about our place is that there aren't enough walls. Because so much of our apartment is windows, we had a very limited space to hang artwork or mirrors. We're always wishing we had more room for art because we keep finding pieces we love, and nowhere to put them.
What Friends Say: They really like being here, but they say our place looks too clean all the time. Because of how our place is designed, it seems to get messy really easily, so we always find ourselves cleaning and letting our OCD get the best of us!
Biggest Embarrassment: The telescope in our master bedroom is all for show — it's totally useless. My iPhone can see/zoom farther.
Proudest DIY: Our entertainment center. It took many failed attempts before we put it together properly.
Biggest Indulgence: The 3 matching clocks in our office. We paid way more than we'd like to admit for them.
Best Advice: Take your time! We literally saved thousands of dollars finding floor models and shopping around. We saved tons on our furniture because we bought at the right time.
Dream Source: Homegoods — my wife and I spend way too much time here. They surprisingly have a lot of original pieces that you wouldn't expect to find there, most of them one of a kind.
Resources of Note:
• Milano Sectional White Leather Sofa: Natuzzi
• Travertine Top Coffee table: Crate & Barrel
• Matching travertine top console table: Crate & Barrel
• Wooden side table: World Market
• Entertainment center and bar: IKEA
• Entryway artwork: Dania
• throw pillows: Crate & Barrel
• Strut Dining Table: Crate & Barrel
• White leather dining chairs: Dania
• Antique style coffee bar: World Market
• Krups Silver Art Collection coffee and espresso machines
• Wall mail holder: CB2
• Low profile king bed: Create & Barrel
• Night table: World Market
• Dresser drawer: World Market
• Dresser: IKEA
• White leather arm chair: Homegoods
• Lamps: Homegoods and Dania
• Chrome desk lamp: West Elm
• Office chair purchased: Hotel Furniture Wholesaler
• Antique brass/wood telescope 1920s replica ordered from Toronto
• Glass office desk: West Elm
• White shelf: IKEA
• White day bed: West Elm
• Grass plants: CB2
• Yellow and white lamp: World Market
• Steel antique side table: Homegoods
• Throw pillows: Homegoods
• White mesh office chair: Hotel Furniture Wholesaler
• Karlsson white international clocks: Crate & Barrel
• Misc. desk accessories (tray, notepad, pen holder): West Elm and Chiasso
• Green book holders, custom made in our garage
• Floor lamp: West Elm
• Decorative cube-art custom made for us by one of our clients
Thanks, Candice & Sam!
Images: Marcin Cymmer
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.