Age: 3 weeks (birth day 7/13/11)
Location: Roanoke, VA
Room size: 20' x 15'
Grey and yellow is definitely the new classic nursery palette, and Elizabeth put it to work in the most adorable way for her new baby boy's room. The walls are the perfect shade of pale grey to act as a backdrop to the sweet pieces she selected for the space. We love that the dresser was something she already owned that she painted sunshine yellow, and the small side table was an old piece she found in her grandfather's basement that she spruced up with some green and white paint. She even brought in the glider that her husband was rocked in as a baby and had it reupholstered in a lovely, deeper shade of grey. And the elephants? They subtly pop up here and there without being too "themey", and the whirlwind of graphic elephant cutouts in the mobile create a gorgeous focal point for sweet, 3-week-old baby Sam to gaze at during diaper changes.
TOUR SAM'S ROOM
What was your inspiration in designing this room? I love the gray and yellow color schemes that seem to be popping up everywhere these days, and, I liked that they could be adapted for either a boy or a girl - so we can reuse these things later on. I also saw Erin's adorable nursery very early in my pregnancy and used it as a starting point.
What was your biggest challenge? I didn't want to spend a ton of money on the nursery, but I didn't want to cut corners either. We used lots of old furniture that we simply "spruced up" or refinished to save money on "big ticket" items like the dresser/changing table, night stand, and glider. I used Ikea frames and spent a lot of time searching Etsy for good deals on cute hand-made accessories and decor.
What is your favorite part of the room?The little nook with the glider and gallery wall. I also really like the map decal above the crib.
What is your proudest DIY project? I let my dad and husband do most of the DIY while I was busy being pregnant and napping - haha! But, I did design the gallery wall and gather everything for it. I also LOVE the way the yellow dresser turned out.
TOUR SAM'S ROOM
Do you have any advice for other parents who are just starting on the nursery design process? Have a plan before you start and allow plenty of time --- it should be fun, not stressful! (Also, realize that the room will evolve once the baby arrives!)
• Wall Color: Valspar Silver Lake (This turned out more blue than I was hoping, but I've grown to love it.)
• Rug: Ikea
• Curtains: Ikea ($14.99 for a set of two - we used four - not pictured online); rod from Lowe's (two rigged together in the middle because that window is so long)
• Overhead Light: Lowe's
• Crib: Davinci Kalani in Espresso from Amazon
• Crib Bedding: Custom done from Tuft Love Fabric on Etsy
• World Map Decal: Urban Decals on Etsy
• Hanging Pom Poms:Prost to the Host on Etsy
• "Keep Quiet Baby's Sleeping" Print: Plantagenet Rose
Snips & Snails Print - Finny & Zook from Kzukowski on Etsy
• Puppy Dog Tail Hooks: Ikea
• Side table: Found in Poppy's basement; cleaned up and spray painted white on top.
• Glider: Hand-me-down from Jeff's parents (he was rocked in this as a baby) & re-upholstered in gray
• Pillow: Made by Jeff's mom with fabric from TuftLove
• Elephant Lamp: Marshall's
• Storage Baskets: TJ Maxx
• Gallery Wall Art: Enduring Arts; Bound to Remember; Finny & Zook by KZukowski; Sugar Fresh (all on Etsy). PLUS, old photos and some "fillers" while we wait for pictures of Baby C. :)
• Frames: Ikea Ribba Collection
• Dresser: Already owned; painted with Valspar Dandelion with bamboo pulls from Cool Knobs & Pulls spray painted white
• Mirror: Already owned
• Elephant Hooks: Anthropologie (gift from Kathryn)
• Elephant Mobile: Sugar and Spice Studio on Etsy
• Felt Garland: Steph Loves Ben on Etsy
Stuffed Animals, Toys, Books, etc. - Gifts!
TOUR SAM'S ROOM
Thank you, Elizabeth! Be sure to check out her blog, E, Myself, and I, for more beautiful photos, musings on life and new motherhood, and a hilariously creative Bachelor of the Week feature.
(Images: Elizabeth/E, Myself and I)
Have you seen our Nursery & Kids Room Submission Form? In addition to working with some readers to feature full tours, we will also share the best as "My Room" posts on Ohdeedoh -- short, quick tours of great rooms. Submit yours right here.