Shelves above the sink.
Name: Sandra & JustinType of Project:
Arlington, TexasType of building:
Single-family home, 2,450 square feet
The Renovation Diaries are a new collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.
We are so, so close to done. We're just putting in the final installations this week: pendants lights above the counter bar and dining room table, the reclaimed wood shelves on the wall in the kitchen, and the hood above the range. The projects this week were, thankfully, not difficult. The most challenging task was making sure I got the exact right drill bit to drill through the tile in order to mount the now very orange shelf brackets. (We love them.)
Globe pendants are up.
The pictures of the lights were a bit tricky to capture- I didn't want to give away too much of the kitchen just yet. We bought the glass globe pendants from West Elm, and they were so pretty that we decided while we were at it we wanted to replace the super dated chandelier over the dining room table as well. We vacillated over what we wanted there for a long time — we felt since both fixtures could be seen in the same sight line they should be complementary, but not too matchy.
The big pendant over the dining table, complete with dramatic shadow effects.
We decided to just to carry the shape, and went with the metal Hoyne pendant from Crate and Barrel. It is huge- but we appreciate it as a dramatic piece for the room, and that it is not dwarfed by the large table beneath it.
Shelves on the wall, and if you look closely, the hood on the box waiting to be mounted.
The hood was easier to choose — Justin and I both wanted something simple with clean lines, good reviews and a fair price tag. We went with the Luftig exhaust hood from IKEA. The difficult part came when we opened the box and realize some of the parts were missing. Never loose your receipts — you may need them. We were so glad we had tucked them all into the desk in case of fiasco, because this was the pill we had been preparing for. IKEA is almost an hour away, and trying to call the store for anything is nearly impossible. After way too much time trying to sort it all out long distance, we made the trek back and got it figured out in person. Fun times.
It's oh so good to have the hood.
We also tested the load capacity for our car again this week. Justin and I have been looking for a pie safe to go on the wall between the kitchen and the dining room. We hoped to find a great vintage piece, but struck out. It is hard to find something very specific with clean lines, no cut-out hearts, and within budget. So we started looking at new built pieces. We really liked this one, but we don't live close and shipping was so expensive. So we found a custom shop in town that made what we wanted to our exact specifications and budget. I drove out and loaded it in the car (since we had to push the seats so far forward to fit it, Justin wouldn't have fit as a passenger or driver). It took up the whole car, but with my short legs, I wasn't too squished. Pictures to come with the reveal — I have to leave something of a tease...
Now let's get somethings up on the shelves and walls, and call this thing good again. We've already scheduled the after (reveal) party. We are ready to host again, and show it too all of you too.
Estimated time for project: 10 weeks
Time remaining: 0 weeks!
Check out the full series (so far) and be sure to join us next week for the big reveal of Sandra and Justin's new kitchen!
(Images and diary text: Sandra Jergensen)