I went to Norway last month and, while I saw a bunch of stuff I wanted to buy, the exchange rate prevented me from doing a ton of shopping. Until I win the lottery, I'll have to stick to budget options that are at least Scandinavian in spirit, if not in reality.
- This flat weave rug from World Market is a design classic and, at $230 for an 8' x 10' size, isn't too shabby.
- This lamp is one of my favorite budget things right now. It could easily be found at a high-end Scandinavian decor store, with its wood and pastel colors. Instead, the floor version is only $59.99 at Target right now. Table lamps are also available for $15.99.
- The TRENDIG cart from IKEA could easily pass for Alvar Aalto, with its birch ply and huge round wheel. But at $69, there’s no mistake.
- This Swiss cross pattern has been bumping around the stores lately. Urban Outfitters has this woven cotton rug for only $44.
- This geometric pillow from IKEA is only $14!
- Marble automatically says chi-ching, even when it shoudn't. This Ohm table lamp from CB2 is on sale for $59 and is as solid as it is stylish.
- At $899, some wouldn’t call this budget decor, but I still think it looks much more spend-y than its actual price tag. The woodland upholstery calls to mind Josef Frank, and its low profile could easily be found in the most chic of small apartments — all this despite the fact it’s from Land of Nod and is designed for kids rooms.
Have you spotted any other favorites in the stores right now?