A thrifty but really elegant-looking decoration for winter is a grouping of white-painted branches. Birch or Aspen bark is probably the inspiration here, but white paint achieves a similar look if those species aren't available to you.
We did this ourselves one year with a walk in the park on a brisk autumn morning. We picked up our favorite branches/twigs, brought them home, painted them white and displayed them in a large red vase. It was instant winter elegance that was easy, inexpensive, and fun. Here are some sources of inspiration should you want to do the same:
• 1 A white branch jewelry tree by Centsational Girl
• 2 Joseph De Leo / Country Living
• 3 Combined with florals from Flower Council Holland
• 4 A white twig chandelier via The Adventures of Tartanscot
• 5 A wreath with white twig "snowflakes" from Good Housekeeping
For a related project by an Apartment Therapy reader replacing the typical Christmas tree with white branches, see How to: Get Out of the Christmas Tree Rut.