What happens when a for-sale item from Craigslist gets a new lease on life? Here, in a new weekly feature, we find new ways to repurpose one man's trash into our treasure.
This week, we venture to Koreatown in NYC in hot pursuit of an antique utility box posted by the Furnish Green showroom. Thirty-one inches long and 9 inches high, the piece boasts a gorgeously distressed exterior and dovetail construction. Our advice? Treat yourself to some barbecue at one of the neighborhood's famed joints and then head home to try this find in one of the following applications:
- The long-ish shape recalls a windowbox. Try placing little potted plants in a row inside and stash it by a window.
- Rest it atop a console as a funky in-box for unopened mail or a colorful collection of restaurant matchbooks.
- Keep it out in the open on a side table in the TV room (or on the coffee table, if it doesn't block the view of the tube.) Use it to stash remote controls, notepads, pens, delivery menus and more—all the things one needs for a cozy night in.
- Give your spice storage a vintage-inspired oomph. Fill it with your most oft-used jars and bottles and keep the lot on display on the counter.
- Store it on the floor of the bathroom and roll crisp white guest bath and hand towels inside. The next time someone stays over, they'll enjoy the amenities you've thoughtfully prepared for them.
• Found on Craigslist New York
ATVideo of the Day