The recent announcement that the Nintendo 3DS now comes in red got us to thinking about the use of that color in tech, gadget and home office design. It's common in kitchens and attractive in decor, but when it comes to luxury items it's held in reserve for special editions, or to pack a visual punch. Check out our gallery of our favorite red gadgets and decor, and find inspiration for adding a touch of this powerful to your environment, below.Whether it's representing emotions, a command ("STOP") or a summons, like a bull fighter waving a cape, the color red demands attention.Top Row, Left to Right:
1. It makes an attractive addition to an office, be it in accessory or furniture form, and immediately draws the eye; used against a mostly white background, like in this office, it makes a serious visual impact.
2. Looking for a way to enredden your accessories? Give these red nylon bags, pouches and cases by Incase a try.
3. We're huge fans of red appliances in the kitchen. As one commenter said, "I feel like red kitchen accessories almost always work. . . the few red items we had (a couple Mario Batali cast-iron pans, red W&S spatulas, etc.) look really nice, and I think I'll add a few more bright red kitchen accents like shelves and clocks over the years. Red IS one of those colors that makes you hungry though!"
4. For the desk, red accessories really pack a punch; just remember Milton's red stapler from Office Space! They're also a good go-to if you're working to decorate an office cubicle with some personality.
5. Using it in technology design is a great way to give an exclusive feel to a product, such as with the Apple PRODUCT (RED) campaign, which issued limited edition iPods in the distinctive color.Bottom Row, Left to Right:
1. Why not consider a red office chair to go with all your gadgets, bags and desk accessories? A bright office chair might actually make you happy to be sitting in front of your desk all day. More chairs for inspiration: 1, 2, 3, 4.
2, 3. Lately, electronics themselves aren't neglected when it comes to color. We love these FreeAgent Go Portable Hard Drives by Seagate, which come in a wide variety of hues, and this color-coordinated laptop and phone setup. For even more red gadget inspiration, check out this roundup of awesome red gadgets.
4. We have one acquaintance who lamented that cords only come in boring beige, white or black shades, which detract from his red desktop lamp and accessories. If you're willing to get a bit messy, there's a useful tutorial for dyeing your cables any shade of the rainbow (and of course, the example used? Red.) Try keeping the cords visible and on display to maximize the visual punch.
5. We've been advocating little touches of red, but if you really want to go all-out, look to Lenny Kravtiz's amazing Miami home office for inspiration.
Would you use these colorful solutions to inject a bit of red into your life? Or does your heart lie with another color? What's your favorite?