If less is more, then just imagine how much more more would be! While it's easy to go overboard with over-the-top elements, a few bright accents like beads, sequins, or even glitter can add a pop of light to an otherwise staid environment, and they're very easy to DIY. If you're amenable to a bit of glitz, read on for some unexpected places to add sparkle to the home. Please note that I am in no way advocating the application of all these ideas in one space. But if you do, invite me over.
• Floors — Crafty Chica has a full tutorial on how to turn a plain concrete floor into a glitter-covered extravaganza.
• Wallpaper — Photographer Aaron Ruell works within some over-the-top rooms. The glittery pink wallpaper may be neither soothing nor spalike, but it certainly packs an impact.
• Bedspreads — When I first saw the silver sequin throw in Kylie Minogue's Kylie At Home collection, I thought I had died and gone to sparkly heaven. My husband begged for reassurance that it was out of our price range.
• Pillows — If the full sequin throw is too much, maybe an accent pillow or two can do it. Kylie included a couple of those in her bedding range, and a sequin pillowcase would be an easy DIY for even a sewing novice.
• Flower pots — This easy DIY glitter flower pot from Punk Projects is a great way to upgrade a standard terracotta pot.
• Shower curtains — Phew! A sequin shower curtain from Sin in Linen will sure wake you up in the morning.
• Regular curtains — In possibly the most tasteful application of the bunch, The Paris Apartment demonstrates how to incorporate sequined and beaded silk curtains into the boudoir without going full-on Kylie.
Any other ideas? Let us know in the comments.