Name: Seth & Allison Type of Project:
Kitchen/Family Room renovation Location:
Ventura, California Type of building:
Mid-Century, multi-level, single family home
The Renovation Diaries are a new collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style.
With the demolition finished, this place looked like a blank slate. Happily, we received our permits back from the city a few weeks earlier than they’d originally forecasted and were able to start right in with framing.
After removing the existing linoleum kitchen floor, we discovered some structural issues with the floor joists and ended up having to reinforce each one using new 2x10s and then replace the entire subfloor of the kitchen. Also shown: new parallam beam and window framing.
We had rough framing go up at the beginning of the week, and by the end of the week the parallam beam was in place between the kitchen and family room, and the preexisting wall had been completely removed. We’ve decided to leave the beam exposed to add a little bit of character and warmth to a space that will be predominantly white and finished-looking. We also framed out the new windows. Thankfully, the eaves overhang around the house to protect from any weather, because we got a lot of rain this week while we had big gaping holes open in the side of the house.
Left: refrigerator nook framing; right: dual wall oven nook framing. Also shown: new kitchen subfloor.
The new framing consisted of: a section of wall with a build-out to fit a dual wall oven; a section of wall with a build-out to fit the refrigerator; framing out a new bank of windows on the back wall of the house, above where the new sink will be placed; framing the new half-wall that will surround the entry to the staircase leading downstairs; framing a wall in the family room with a build-out on either side for storing media accessories and accessing them from behind. We also installed the new kitchen subfloor over which hardwood will be installed.
Looking into family room and kitchen from the front door. Foreground: pony wall framed out, which surrounds the entrance to the staircase leading to the basement floor.
This week our electrical contractor finished roughing in the entire house to comply with Title 24 energy efficiency. We also had to upgrade the panel since the previous panel was original to the house and not even grounded. We also added a mixture of LED, low voltage and incandescent can lights throughout the interior and exterior of the house. Since our plumbing fixture locations changed, we also had to have plumbers rerun new water supply lines, gas supply lines and drain lines to accommodate our new kitchen layout.
Looking into the kitchen from the family room.Estimated time for project:
8 weeks/two monthsTime remaining:
(Images & Diary Text: Alllison Gibson)
More posts in this series
Renovation Diary: Seth & Allison's Kitchen