Name: Seth & Allison Type of Project:
Kitchen/Family Room renovation Location:
Ventura, California Type of building:
Mid-Century, multi-level, single family home
The Renovation Diaries are a new collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.
We finally have a kitchen! And since we’ve been simultaneously renovating the entire house along with this kitchen/family room project, we’re breathing a big sigh of relief that the house is ready to live in at last!
The final projects in the kitchen this week included installing backsplash tile, upper cabinet doors and their hardware, and working on some little finishing touches like installing the toe kick.
Backsplash subway tile in progress.
For the backsplash we went with white 3x6 subway tile with charcoal gray grout, which was installed by Jash Hamada. We’re really happy with the way it turned out, and we like how the classic subway tile warms up what is otherwise a pretty minimalist and modern look.
Tile and grout finished.
Seth cut the white oak cabinet doors to fit the IKEA frames and used IKEA/Blum hardware to attach them. Like our kitchen drawers, they feature a “soft close” damper. The last step will be to put a finish on the doors, but we wanted to hang them first to make sure everything fit. Seth is also going to try to build something to cover the exhaust fan vent.
Custom cabinet doors installed—still in need of a clear-coat.
As you can see from the pictures, we’ve started to move some of our belongings into the new kitchen as we make our move from the house that we recently sold to this new house — which we are so excited to make a long term home for our growing family. The timing has worked out just right, since our first baby is due this summer! Thanks so much for reading along as we shared our renovation project with you. We’ll be back next week to share pictures of the full kitchen/family room space and a post-project diary.
Estimated time for project: 8 weeks/two months
Time remaining: 0 weeks!
(Images & Diary Text: Alllison Gibson)
More posts in this series
Renovation Diary: Seth & Allison's Kitchen