Name: Seth & Allison Type of Project:
Kitchen/Family Room renovation Location:
Ventura, California Type of building:
Mid-Century, multi-level, single family home
The Renovation Diaries are a new collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.
Since Seth assembled all of the cabinets down in the basement last week to keep the space clear, we just had to bring them upstairs this week and set them in place. Because we were able to design our kitchen from scratch (with the help of our architect) we got to build it specifically with Ikea cabinet frame sizes in mind. And because of this we had absolutely no spare room between the cabinets, so it was a big relief when they all fit into place as planned.
Starting to set the cabinets.
Once the cabinets were set, Seth placed all the plywood subcounters in preparation for the quartz countertops. We had originally planned on using Caesarstone because we’d had good luck with it at this house. However, our new island is too big for a single slab of Caesarstone, so we ended up going with Silestone because they make a slab large enough for us to avoid seams.
Prepping for countertop installation.
With the cabinets set and countertops and most appliances installed, we carried the original red oak floor into the kitchen and family room spaces. We decided to lay the floor up to the cabinets (after much research and discussion —i n the renovation world there’s no shortage of opinions about how to lay wood flooring in a kitchen, or if you even should) in case we ever need to replace any pieces of the floor.
New floor and some appliances installed.
We were tempted to leave out the microwave altogether, but after being reminded that a microwave drawer could be hidden out of sight on the back side of the island, we went that route.
The upper cabinet frames are from Ikea, but Seth will be cutting custom doors for them out of white oak, and he hopes to install them next week. We will also install the backsplash soon. The end is in sight!
Estimated time for project: 8 weeks/two months
Time remaining: 1 week
(Images & Diary Text: Alllison Gibson)
More posts in this series
Renovation Diary: Seth & Allison's Kitchen