One Month Before
- Start the purge: It is never too early to start clearing out the clutter that builds up and the longer that you live in a place, the more clutter there is. To make it less overwhelming, just take it one room at a time.
- Order Moving Supplies: Boxes, bubble wrap, tape, and markers can add up cost wise, but if you order ahead of time from a place like U-Line, you can save money.
- Inventory and Insure Valuables: Sometimes we put tasks like these on the back burner, but now is the time to take inventory of your valuables and make sure they are properly insured.
- Utilities: Contact your utilities to arrange cancellation and setup of new utilities.
- Records: Obtain school and medical records if moving far away and/or changing schools.
Two Weeks Before
- Hold a Garage Sale: The closer to the move that you wait, the more you might have to sell, and a little extra cash can help offset the moving costs.
- Fill out change of address forms at the local post office or online at USPS.
- Update newspaper and magazine subscriptions.
One Week Before
- Packing: Finish packing up boxes so there aren't any all-nighters before the move.
- Arrange payments with moving company.
- Pack your suitcases with anything crucial, such as clothes and toiletries, for the first few days of the move.
- Print out maps and directions for movers.
- Keep your movers happy with refreshments (especially if your movers are your friends).
- Accompany the movers as they inventory your items.
- Sign the bill of landing and make sure the details are correct and keep a copy.
- Finally, before leaving your old place, make sure doors and windows are locked and the lights and thermostat are turned off.