We're in the mood for "just because" gift giving to our favorite geek, but need to keep it within a budget. A new USB drive to add some flair to the desk might be just the ticket, with its compact size and price range. Check out these cool drives we've discovered, suitable for everyone from Hamlet to your inner child.
1. This item (out of stock at Fred Flare, $29.95 from online sellers) looks like someone just ripped your cable off at the end, but it actually contains a working USB drive. We love humorous design, and whoever thought up this neat little thing should give themselves a pat on the back.
2. To USB or not to USB, that is the question. This 4GB skull drive ($20) is a perfect gift for the Shakespeare fan in your life. Also suitable for fans of pirates or the Cure.
3. This Rubik's Cube USB drive will cost you only your time (plus the cost of materials, including a ripped-apart Cube and a very small drive). But if you're feeling lazy, you can grab one for $19 here.
4. The realm of geek USB drives is ruled by 2GB Voltron: Defender of the Universe ($36.99). His arms and legs move and he has his Blazing Sword at the ready.
5. Looking to indulge your Steampunk side? We love Steampunk USB gadgets to death and for prices ranging from $50 to $205, Etsy is the go-to source. The price range may preclude us buying, but they're sure nice to look at.
6. From childhood well into adulthood, Lego blocks are there to stimulate and entertain us. Now you can pay homage with these 4 GB drives ($29.99-$39.99), which serve as keychains or phone charms. Looking for more? We have a whole roundup of them.
7. If you geek out about airplanes, this is the USB for you. Created by Bader Models, these drives are decorated to look like the tails of commercial airliners. A 4GB drive starts at $55.