Hi AT:SF, I have a studio apartment on Powell Street and it is so noisy here. I can hear everything from the street (cable cars, cars speeding up the street, fire trucks, police cruisers, etc.). The apartment was built in the 1930s. I work nights sometimes and I can't sleep well. Please tell me what I can do to reduce the noise coming from the outside of my windows. My studio faces the street. Thanks.
-Sleepless for 5 years
Besides the obvious solution of moving (sleepless for five years? Are you kidding?), you might try a sound machine, heavy curtains, earplugs...
And check out these posts, some related to street noise, some related to neighbor noise:
• How To: Soundproof Your Home
• Good Questions: Window Noise & Privacy Solution?
• House Tour: New Family Home #5
• Extreme Soundproofing
• The Lovely Side of Neighbor Noise
• Noise Tops the Charts
• Garbage and Noise in the Bedroom
• Noise Pollution: Chainsaw at Midnight? Oh No, He Didn't!
• Noisy Neighbors
• Good Questions: Ceiling Insulation?
• Hot Tip: Cityproof Windows Will Make You Feel Like Charleton Heston in Omega Man
• Cityproof Windows: Fighting Noise, Draft & Dirt
• Good Questions: Sound-Dampening Paint?
• Good Questions: Does Insulation Paint Work?
• Being Neighborly: Loud and Obnoxious Neighbors
Note: Include a picture and your question gets posted first