Shauntelle & Dave's Controlled Kitsch 1960s split-level home. Today, we get to see the rest of their house. A caveat: the tour may leave you with extreme martini cravings.
Ethel's headquarters. Besides using the space to keep on top of her business, she uses it to house an interesting collection: midcentury modern dollhouses! The last room on the ground floor is Shauntelle and Dave's bedroom. The bedside lamps, overhead shelf, and headboard combine to make the most outrageously playful lines. When Shauntelle and Dave entertain — and they often do — the party always ends up in the lower level lounge. And with a Tiki-bar like that, why not? Opposite the Tiki-bar is an original and amazing flagcrete fireplace that they were advised to tear down when they had their home inspection. Thankfully, they managed to keep it. Adorning the room are much loved cocktail glass and tiki mug collections. From the lower level, a sliding glass door leads to their beautiful backyard, where a groundhog dubbed Scarborough Sam resides. As I open the door to take pictures, Dave and Shauntelle spot a second groundhog. Scarborough Sam has found a mate! Perhaps the love vibes from the happy couple indoors are contagious. Be sure to check out Shauntelle's blog, where you can see more pictures and get more information about all the goodies she's got in her lovely home.
- • Sherwin Williams Suburban Modern paint palette seen in dining room and living room
• Tropicana Cabana from Benjamin Moore (the most perfect turquoise paint colour EVER), seen in lower level lounge and hallway
- • Eurolight for rewiring our four vintage sputnik light fixtures
• Queen West Antiques Centre for vintage Womb chair and Saarinen coffee table base
• Ethel — 20th Century Living for bar in basement (bought before I took over the store last year from the original owners)
• ZigZag for desk in Dave's office
• G.U.F.F. (Good Used Furniture Finds) for Spanner sideboard in dining room
• Frontier Sales for front hall table
• Craigslist for both sofas
• Kijiji for small desk in Shauntelle's office
• Princess Perfect upholstery for cushions on side chairs in living room, webbing on dining chairs
• Vienna Upholstery for reupholstery of blue sofa in living room and green Canadian Coconut chair in living room (otherwise known as the A.J. Donahue chair)
• Aristocrat lighting for custom lampshades on teak floorlamps in living room
• Olympia Tile for white mosaic tiles on the backbar sink surround to match the vintage tile on the bar
• Roman Bath Centre for bathtub and lo-flow Toto toilet
• M Modern Gallery for Shag art, Derek Yaniger art, Tim Biskup art, Chris Reccardi art
• Reprodepot fabric for side chair fabric and throw pillow fabric
• IKEA for bookshelves in both offices (they do bookshelves best!)
• Value Village, estate sales & garage sales for pretty much everything else!
Shauntelle & Dave's Controlled Kitsch - Part 1 Thanks Dave & Shauntelle! Images: Abby Cook
Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.