- San Diego, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- There are several things I love about my home. First, I love being able to watch the sun set out of the large west facing windows. Second, I love being in an urban environment where everything I need is within walking distance, e.g. great restaurants, great mom and pop shops, the farmers market, and the list continues. But, what I love the most about my small home is the fact it is just that - a small home. It forces me to evaluate the things that are the most important to me and identify things that serve not only a functional purpose, but also an aesthetic one. Appreciate the beauty in everything.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1) Scale, scale, scale. Did I mention scale? Nothing eats up floor space or makes a room look and feel "heavy" more than over-sized furniture does in a small space. If it's large, make sure it's important and you're not using it just to fill the space. Constantly explore your options.
2) Always look "beyond" an object and its use. For example: footstools become extra seating and double as a coffee table; a wide brim soup bowl becomes a decorative cacti planter; large artwork becomes a privacy screen, and so on and so forth. Distill the object to its basic level and take advantage of all its possibilities.
3) Look at the value that each item, particularly furniture, brings into the equation. Do you really need two end tables? Is it necessary to have two nightstands? Explore asymmetry, as it allows the informal, or better yet, the comfortable aspect of living to be explored and celebrated. Asymmetry allows for more variety and visual interest.
More posts in Small Cool 2014
ATVideo of the Day