Name: Shiva Rose
Location: Pacific Palisades, California
Size: 2500 square feet
Years lived in: 1 1/2 years
Personality is definitely present in this home! Shiva began with a severely outdated house and undertook an extensive renovation to make it a special home for her girls. It is packed with feminine elements (check out all the light fixtures) and anyone who enters the home feels loved.
Everyone in the house has their own unique personality. The youngest daughter loves dresses and dolls, but will also pick up a worm in a heartbeat. The oldest daughter is 16, so she is focused on fashion and finally being able to drive. You can tell that she loves being in front of the camera. The mom is a former actress and holistic activist, so she tends to their organic garden and makes sure her girls grow up in an eco-conscious way. She is the rock holding the household together. I have never felt more at ease in someone's home as I did in Shiva's. I hope I make a return visit really soon...
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Eclectic romantic modern ranch
Inspiration: The trees outside the large glass windows and the vintage iron windows that were original to the house
Favorite Element: Nature being seen from most of the rooms. From the street the house seems really simple, but there is a wonderful fairy garden and creek in the back.
Biggest Challenge: Staying on budget, keeping the integrity of the original structure, staying on theme.
What Friends Say: Most people said don't buy that house, it's a disaster, a tear down. Now most appreciate it and find it peaceful. I've heard it has "good energy."
Biggest Embarrassment: The powder room door was original and so it gets stuck. I've had a few folks have to climb out the window to get out.
Proudest DIY: The edible garden, picking out the marble, scraping paint from original iron windows
Biggest Indulgence: The bathtub. I used inexpensive subway tiles for most of the house, but the tub I had to splurge on. I got a freestanding cast iron tub from Sunrise.
Best Advice: Get the pieces you love and do all the changes at the time of construction because if you say "I'll do it at a later date when I get more cash" you usually won't once the work is done.
Dream Sources: French magazine Cote Sud, Amy Neunsinger's home featured on Apartment Therapy, Commune designs, music, flea markets. My contractor Shannon Sheehan's expertise, Danny Nagashima's designs, Big Sur, ABC carpet in NYC, John Derian NYC, Anais Nin's home in Henry and June
Resources of Note:
- Wolf stove
- Bosch refrigerator
- Sunrise bathtub
- Miele dishwasher
- Rohl fixtures in polished nickel for bathroom
- Shaws original farm sink
- Kohler sink in girls bathroom
- Handmade walnut dining table and benches by Lee Build
- Vintage papa bear chair
- Sitting chairs found by Mariah O'Brien
- Vintage tables from flea markets
- Albini rattan chair found at Revolver Vintage
- Raw walnut that was stained grey by Garrison
RUGS & CARPETS
- Amadi rugs for vintage Berber Moroccan
- Ikea sheep skin rugs
- Family owned Persian kilms
TILES & STONE
- White subway tile
- Calcutta marble from Van Nuys Marble
- Slab wood bed from Calypso
- Iron bed from vintage NYC salvage yard
Images: Marcia Prentice
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
More posts in this series
Organic Modern House Tour All-Stars