- Location: Online
- Specialty: Modern design inspired by nature
- Price range: $$
- Website: hinterlanddesign.com
- Founded by: Riley Mcferrin
- Headquarters: Vancouver, B.C.
For Riley Mcferrin, the road to Hinterland began with a move from suburban LA to Oregon to be closer to the forest. As he continued to find inspiration in nature, Mcferrin's fine art evolved as well. His art slowly became more three dimensional and, in a fitting move, he transitioned into management of high-end custom home construction. Today, in addition to his furnishings, Riley brings his natural modernism to interiors projects, including small updates and complete construction.
• Scatter/Gather Pendant Light – Made from found ocean-washed branches, this lamp is hand-constructed using pegged and glued through-tenons.
• Treetop Dining Table – A hardwood surface sits atop salvaged and dried hardwood logs from coastal British Columbia.
• Little Gem Side Table – Made from cast-off cedar logs, this hand-shaped table can be finished off with an optional top in granite, steel or mirror.
• Nurselog Side Table and Planter – Inspired by ran forest stumps that grow moss and other vegetation. this table, made from Western red cedar, includes a round insert for plants.
• Designer's Studio – Riley designed and constructed this small studio for a children's book designer, using the footprint of an existing shed.
(Images: Hinterland Design)