The products they sell must fit into one or more of five overlapping categories: 1) non-exploitative (sourced directly from producers or from companies that pay fair wages and provide non-exploitative working conditions), 2) handmade, 3) recycled, 4) fair trade (certified by an outside organization such as the Fair Trade Federation), and/or 5) eco-friendly (made from renewable, organic, reclaimed, repurposed or vintage materials).
• Flora & Fauna Kantha Handstitched Recycled Sari Bed Cover, $140
• Handmade Japanese Washi Art - Water Motif, $86
• Hand Woven Block Print Cotton Bedspread, $70
• Blue Jaipur Small Bowl, $12
• Stained Glass Kantha Handstitched Recycled Sari Bed Cover, $140
• Lilac Linen and Wool Throw, $67
• Blue Tulip Block Print Fabric, $15/yard
• Floral Seventies Kantha Handstitched Recycled Sari Baby Blanket, $35
• White Porcelain Tea Cups, $7
• Hand-Woven Black and Cream Wool Throw Blanket, $81
- Founded: 2010
- Founded by: Kendra and Johnathan Shaw
- Headquarters: Ann Arbor, Michigan
The phrase "a trade for a trade" has always had a special meaning to Kendra's family. As the oldest of 5 kids, she witnessed many unfair swaps as everyone grew up. "A trade for a trade" came to mean any deal that was fair to people on both sides of the table. For us, it means paying artisans a fair wage, then turning around and offering a fair deal to our customers.