Located just off Southwest Alder Street in Portland, this shop focuses on basic but beautiful things that we use in our day-to-day routines. Things like wool blankets, grocery bags, garden boots, and kitchen tools line the shelves.Opened over the summer of 2010, Alder & Co stocks high-quality brands and designers including Tourne textiles, Donna Wilson blankets and poufs, Bensimon sneakers, and Baggu reusable shopping bags. They explain, "We are particularly passionate about goods that are made in the USA and we also search out special manufacturers in Europe and Japan.
They're working on an e-commerce site, but in the meantime you have to call or visit in-person to buy. For a peek at available items, check out their blog: Aldler & Co.
• Aigle 'Malouine' Boots
• Plier Bottle Openers, $22
• Hand-painted Sparrows from Japan, $20
• French Market Baskets, $40 - $48
• Nos Da Pouf $390, Matta Blankets $172, and Felt Piggie Ornament $8
• Linen Market Bag by Studiopatro, $92
• Ceramic Speakers by Joey Roth, $495
• Handmade Spinning Tops, $12 - $26
• Baggu Reusable Bags, $8
• Tourne Blankets, $225