- Location: multiple locations and online
- Website: benjaminmoore.com
- Founded: 1883
- Founded by: Benjamin and Robert Moore
- Headquarters: Montvale, NJ
When it comes to paint, Benjamin Moore might be the biggest name in the business. As a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway (owned by Warren Buffet), the company has a dealer network of 4,000 paint stores and 3,000 hardware stores, decorators, and lumber yards. We use them as a reliable source for quality paints and we like their Aura (low-VOC) and Natura (no-VOC) lines.
There are a handful of Benjamin Moore colors that continually make the rounds on decorators' favorite lists. Apartment Therapy's Color Therapist, Mark Chamberlain, has written about a bunch of them, especially their grays (Coastal Fog, Silver Fox, Knoxville Gray) and off-whites (Swiss Coffee, Cove Point, White Dove, Decorator's White).
The price point for Benjamin Moore paint is a little higher than other hardware store brands, but so is the quality. Their low-VOC Aura and no-VOC Natura lines are even more expensive, but they've performed well in the Apartment Therapy test lab.
The company recently began an online ordering service, where you can shop for paints and supplies (including 2 ounce samples) on the web and have them delivered to your home. If you'd rather look in-person, Benjamin Moore is sold at hardware and paint stores across the country.
COLOR THERAPY RECOMMENDATIONS
• The Best Off-White Paint: Benjamin Moore
• Silver Fox by Benjamin Moore
• Coastal Fog by Benjamin Moore
• Benjamin Moore Historic Colors: Verdigris & Grey
• Knoxville Gray by Benjamin Moore
• Benjamin Moore Color Forecast 2009
• Clinton Brown by Benjamin Moore
• Classic Brown by Benjamin Moore
• Beach Haven by Benjamin Moore
Photos: Benjamin Moore