Sending (or receiving!) a fabulous care package can help you feel like you're part of the festivities, even if you find yourself thousands of miles from loved ones this holiday season. And the Packaging Store in San Francisco can help your gift arrive stylishly and safely...I love The Packaging Store, and always end up spending lots & lots of money- those $0.29 cent boxes add up, but they're irresistible! One of my favorite parts is hearing people exclaim as they walk in the door and get a glimpse of the Tissue Paper Wall, or the rack of bows & ribbons. Kindred packaging-nerd spirits. The Packaging Store was opened 34 years ago, and when the original owners were ready to retire, it was purchased by Ed Kastenbaum. He's been working diligently to find stylish, unique, and eco-friendly options. (Just ask one of the friendly employees if you'd like to know what the most eco-friendly options are- after the holidays all of the signage will be updated so you can easily choose compostable and recycled items.)
My other favorite aspect of this store is the incredible amount of variety. If you want a little brown cardboard gift box, you can get one with a lid, with one or two flaps, in 3"x3"x3" or 3"x3"x6" or 3"x4"x6", and on & on. They have it all: cellophane bags in every size (regular or compostable), every kind of tape (I love the classic brown paper tape for $7.99), handled gift bags in every color (only $0.59!), and so much more. Come in with a dream, and leave with the perfect packaging.
- Some of My Favorites (Clockwise from top left) "Chinese Take-out" pint boxes in all different sizes (gold, silver, white, $0.52-$1.30), colorful mailing tubes (red, silver, yellow, green, $1.35), tiny "truffle boxes" (gold, pink, white, black, $0.50), and cheerful red polka-dot boxes ($0.95-$1.25).
- Holiday Cuteness (Clockwise from top left) Gingerbread house box ($1.55), sweet little favor boxes ($5.50/box of 4), striped & winterberry gift boxes ($0.95-$1.25), and wine gift boxes ($0.60-$0.95).
- The Delicious Wall of Tissue Paper! (Clockwise from top left) So, so many colors- I particularly love the creamy "Vanilla" and deep midnight blue papers. Packs of 10 sheets are $2-$2.25, and packs of 100 sheets are $13.95-$51.90.
- Boxes Galore (Clockwise from top left) Shipping boxes in the perfect sizes and shapes for anything you could ever want to send, "jewelry" boxes for precious little gifts ($0.45-$2.13), elegant pin-striped boxes ($1.75-$2.42), and flat mailers for records, books, & more.
- Tape It Up: Colorful box tape ($2.25) and masking tape ($3.65).
Images: Tess Wilson