Global Exchange sells fair trade goods - what exactly does fair trade mean, you're wondering?
- Fair trade means that trading partnerships are based on reciprocal benefits and mutual respect. Therefore, farmers, workers, and artisans:
- Receive a fair price under direct long-term contracts
- Are small-scale producers in democratic co-ops or workers on larger farms who receive a living wage and can bargain collectively
- Don't use abusive child labor or forced labor
- Are guaranteed national health safety and minimum wage
- Use ecologically sustainable methods and conserve natural resources
A few more of our favorites:
This handsome set of wood dominoes, made in Thailand, are handpainted and and come in a wooden box ($18).
These colorful baby slippers ($12) are also made in Thailand by members of the Lisu tribe. Making this product helps some of the 22,000 member tribe to be self-sufficient without participating in the major industry of the region – poppy/opium cultivation.
You'll find plenty more to see at Global Exchange including clothing, coffee, tea and chocolate, music, books, and home items. Or, if you're in San Francisco, Berkeley or Portland, you can stop in at a Global Exchange store.