- Location: online only
- Website: hiddenartshop.com
Based in the UK, Hidden Art is a non-profit online store with a mission to help independent designers get their products out in the market. All revenue generated by sales is funneled back to designers and makers.
It's an interesting non-profit model that helps to push product design in new directions. For instance, the Stella Rug (shown in the first photo) was created by UK designer Michelle Mason and launched in 2008. It won a Craft Central Bright Ideas Award, received international press coverage, and is now available through multiple European retailers. It's an unusual design that reinterprets lace patterns in felt—not the kind of thing you'd find in a big box home store.
While not all of Hidden Art's goods are sustainable, they do have an Eco Shop featuring items that are environmentally-friendly in their materials and production processes. The shop markets itself to UK residents looking to buy locally produced goods, but they also offer shipping to countries outside the UK and Europe.
For more information, click here.
- Stella Felt Rug by Michelle Mason, made from 100% felted wool, £350
- Cloud Lampshade by Yu Jordy Fu, handmade from recycled paper with fireproof coating, £106
- Alumina Table by Lloydesign, made from sustainably harvested wood, LED lights, and glass, £2,243
- Home and Away Tea Towels by Michelle Mason, printed on 100% organic cotton with water-based inks, £15
- OTA Message Station by Spinifex, made with recycled plastic and low-VOC finishes, £39