Saturday, I headed to West Roxbury to check out the recently opened Boston Artisan Market. With three storefronts and space for 14 vendors, it gives local artists, collectors and craftspeople an outlet close to home, while shoppers can delight in finding beautiful pieces at affordable prices. From vintage glass art to Victorian wrought iron, there's a lot to see at this local gem.Shirley Walsh purchased the building where her curiosity shop of vintage finds, Kalembar Dune, is located, and eventually decided that an artisan market would be a good use of the extra space. There was a trial run in December, and on February 19, 2011 the Boston Artisan Market was officially open.
I had a blast browsing and chatting with the different vendors about their work. Here's some of my favorite things:
• Walking into Walsh's Kalembar Dune feels like discovering cool old stuff in your parents' attic as a kid with a twist of theatre prop closet.
• Vintage signs adorn most corners of Kalembar Dune, as a garden gnome keeps watch.
• Artist Ann Marie Trementozzi takes vintage glassware and transforms it into new pieces for the home and garden. Love those glass garden flowers! Prices vary.
• Ann's husband, Robert, takes old tin panels from local renovations (these are from a storefront on Centre Street in Jamaica Plain), strips and restores them, and with custom framing, turns them into stunning wall art. $48 each.
• A funky 1960s octagonal storage table with its original finish - $110 at Kalembar Dune
• Mod tomato red vinyl swivel chairs with brushed chrome accents - $125 each at Kalembar Dune
• Intricate wrought iron Victorian plant stand with its original finish - $210 at Kalembar Dune
• Original block & tackle from a ship in New Bedford - $95 at Kalembar Dune
• And for the ultimate Boston sports fan, 2 stadium seats from Fenway Park - $875 at Kalembar Dune
Located at 162-166 Spring Street in West Roxbury, Boston Artisan Market is accessible by bus and commuter rail, and there's a large parking lot in the back. The Boston Artisan Market is held every Saturday and Sunday.
Images: Tara Bellucci
- Founded: 2010
- Founded by: Shirley Walsh
- Headquarters: West Roxbury, Massachusetts