Vintage Furniture and Reproduction Chair Bases
Price Range: ($$) Mid-Range
Modern Conscience is a modern furniture workshop featuring an online gallery and a selection of hand-picked original modern chair and furniture designs.
Vintage furniture is often a mainstay in the green home, but it's not always easy to come by. That's why I love Modern Conscience, a small U.S. company that sells both vintage pieces and reproduction parts. Think that beat-up Eames shell that you found behind the dumpster is goner? A few replacement parts and a little TLC might be just the thing to give a classic a new lease on life.Amanda Hallberg and Brian Hanger, the duo behind Modern Conscience, run the online shop from their live/work studio in Seattle. In addition to vintage goods, they also handcraft reproductions of the original Eames chair bases.
Curious about the company's approach towards sustainability? Here's the impressive rundown:
- We make furniture that is designed to last, so you will keep it forever, and it's not going to end up in a landfill.
- We restore vintage furniture for the same reason.
- We source all of our hardwood lumber and materials from FSC Certified forests in the United States. This is especially important to us, because we go through a lot of hardwood.
- We hand pick all of our hardwood lumber so that we can ensure that it perfectly matches the project, resulting in significantly less waste wood. Additionally we make use of the scraps for all kinds of fun projects, like butcher-block counter tops, jigs for the shop, children's toys, and baby rattles.
- For our designs that incorporate plywood, we source void free products made with formaldehyde free glue that's cured using a UV process that eliminates all volatile organic compounds (VOC's).
- We hand finish all of our wood projects in tung oil, which is not only sustainable and all natural (it comes from a tree nut), but it's non-toxic too (which means it won't off-gas terrible chemicals in your home), and it will last significantly longer than a less expensive finish, like polyurethane.
- We live where we work and we use local fabricators, suppliers and lumber yards. This allows us to drastically cut our carbon emissions. And gives the benefit of being close to our fabricators, which means we have direct control over the quality of the product.
- We source everything locally, and we do all of the hand making ourselves, so we know our products are 100% made in the United States.
- We also offer the products of other respected designers, all of which are hand crafted, often made from recycleable materials, and have similar sustainable ethics as our own.
Images: Modern Conscience