James and Ewa Powell
Charlotte, North Carolina
We aim to be stewards of exquisitely designed textiles, otherwise discarded or difficult to find. We reclaim and collect new fabrics from the finest luxury furniture companies throughout the United States and offer them to you at 50-75% off list price.
Discovered via Elle Decor, this online resource is doing for designer fabrics what Overstock has done for home furnishings. When designers cancel orders or a line is discontinued, fabric is often tossed out or lost forever in warehouse boxes. James and Ewa Powell thought that seemed like a waste, so they started collecting remnants from high-end manufacturers like Knoll, Schumacher, Kravet, and Maharam.They sell the remnants (many of which would previously be available only to the trade) directly to customers. Their website, Modern Fabrics, has a rotating inventory of discounted remnants priced between $20 and $50 a yard — not dirt cheap, but much less than what these fabrics cost new.
Any first-hand experiences with Modern Fabrics? Share them in the comments!
• Sina Pearson Fabrics, various prices
• Sina Pearson Bounce Fabric, $32 per yard
• Designers Guild Sevilla Fabric, $42 per yard
• Maharam Contrary Fabric, $30 per yard
• Maharam Umbra Fabric, $28 per yard
• Knoll Cato Fabric, $64.50 per yard
• Robert Allen Canoga Fabric, $36 per yard
• Jhanes Barnes Boomerang Fabric, $22 per yard
• HBF Amulet Fabric, $24 per yard
• Lee Jofa Marseilles Check,
• Knoll Gibson Fabric, $38