- Location: San Francisco, CA
- Website: onebigman.com
Moving is often cited as one of the most stressful life events. One way to help alleviate some of that stress is to use a reliable mover.
Fred Wallace started One Big Man & One Big Truck in 1983. As the service became increasingly popular, Wallace hired help, and then formed a partnership with Paul Dubois and Wolfgang Matt.
One Big Man & One Big Truck specializes in smaller local moves throughout the Bay Area.
The company's hourly rates are $130 for a two-person crew and truck, or $160 for a three-person crew and truck. There's also a one-time flat rate travel fee of $50 (two-person crew) or $60 (three-person crew) inside a Local Service Area, and a fee that varies outside a Local Service Area (depending on how far from the Local Service Area your move takes place). They bill in 15-minute increments with no minimum time. And if you pay with cash, rates are $10 less per hour.
One Big Man & One Big Truck's service includes:
• A confirmation sheet with your rates, and the date and time your move is scheduled
• A confirmation call four days before your move date to answer any last minute questions
• A follow-up phone call after your move to make sure everything went well
• Trained and uniformed employees
• A clean 24'- or 14'-truck, 50 quilted moving pads for your furniture, 4 wardrobe boxes for hanging clothing, plastic wrap for upholstered items, handcarts, and dollies
The website even offers packing tips.
One Big Man & One Big Truck has earned the Bay Guardian's Best of the Bay Award, been on the Better Business Bureau's Honor Roll seven times, and was also listed in 7x7 Magazine's 2006 Best of Service. The magazine says, "Not only do we love the name, but these guys (there are more than one) are dependable and friendly."
Have you used One Big Man & One Big Truck? Leave a review below.
(Edited from a post originally published 06/13/06; new rates listed above)