We can't even remember how we stumbled upon Our Children's Gorilla but we're so glad we did! Their tag line: "The Children's Imagination is our Inspiration" is really appropriate for these fun and unique Swedish designs. We've featured a few of their products before, but we thought it'd be nice to feature them as a whole so you get a sense of this company's aesthetic and sense of humor.
With a focus on both modern (and somewhat quirky) design as well as using eco-friendly materials whenever possible, Our Children's Gorilla's products are distinctive. Sometimes we'll come across one in a shop and say, "Oh, I bed Our Children's Gorilla makes that" and we're usually right. Here are a few of our favs:
• Their 60s-inspired Children Unite poster is full of energy and a great choice for kids with slightly off-beat or retro taste.
• We happen to love European trains, but they were inspired by US trains of the 1940s when they created this birch, walnut and pine Milwaukee Express train.
• You can't get much more minimalist than their A-frame dollhouse. It reminds us of a Manhattan loft. So simple, and yet we could see little kids playing with it for hours.
• If your kids don't relate as much to suburban-styled dollhouses, perhaps they'll appreciate the more urban brownstone and firehouse (made of cardboard/fiberboard).
• Transportation is a common motif in kids design, especially for boys, but we must profess a preference for Our Children's Gorilla's less cutesy take on it with this steamliner and airplane wall hooks.
You can see Our Children's Gorilla full line of products online. Many are available for purchase directly through their site, but we've also seen many of their products for sale in the States (contact them for a retailer if you can't find one).
Our Children's Gorilla Scullcave Play Hut
Our Children's Gorilla Robot Hooks
(update of post by Julia from 5/23/07)