multiple locations and online
Every time I pass the Phaidon store in SoHO, I'm tempted to go in and buy whatever's in the window — whether it's a surly redheaded girl staring at me from the cover of a Martin Parr photography book or a set of candy colored, ribbon-tied Wallpaper City Guides.
The British publisher is expert at producing beautiful books with big, glossy photos and minimal — but usually insightful — text. If you've got a design book lover on your gift list this year, check out their online site for a few good ideas.
Phaidon has publishing offices around the world, stores in London and New York, a website where you can purchase their inventory, and a large network of dealer bookstores that includes most chains and many, many smaller independent sellers. In addition to art and design books, they have a small collection of limited edition photography available online.
Any first-hand reviews of Phaidon? Add them in the comments below.
• Hella Jongerius, Misfit, $50
• The Phaidon Design Classics iPad Edition, $20
• John Pawson: Plain Space, $75
• 10X10_3, $90
• The House Book, $12
• My Name is Charles Saatchi and I am an Artaholic, $9.95
• Wallpaper City Guides for iPad and iPhone
• Seen Behind the Scene, $60
• Martin Paar, $28
• The Phaidon Atlas of World 21st Century Architecture, $195