- Location: online only
- Website: pinterest.com
- Founded: 2010
- Founded by: Ben Silbermann and Paul Sciarra
- Headquarters: Palo Alto, California
At this point in its BETA stage, Pinterest is open by invitation only, but potential pinners can request an invite to try it.
Conceived by Palo Alto-based startup Cold Brew Labs — led by Ben Silbermann (co-founder), Paul Sciarra (co-founder), and Yashwanth Nelapati (engineer) — Pinterest has been attracting attention in the ever-converging worlds of tech and online shopping.
In a smart marketing move, Silbermann and Sciarra approached tastemakers like Victoria Smith (sfgirlbybay), Jeanine Hays (Aphrochic), and Katie Evans (Kate Spade) to create design boards that Pinterest users could 'follow' and 'like.'
Less product-oriented than Svpply and more geared towards bloggy inspiration-board style, the site still has a "Buyable" category where browsers can search for linked products. Here are a few of the "pinned" products we found and liked...
• Bookbound iPad Case - Pinned from DODOcase, $65
• Blue Cable Knit Porcelain Cups - Pinned from Etsy, $25
• Paris Umbrella Sticky Tape - Pinned from Etsy, $12.40
• Tajika Copper Scissors from Analoguelife.com, $66
• 3 Speed Round Bar 22" - Pinned from The Classic Bicycle Shop, $850
• Paint Chip Quilt by Kim Eichler Messmer - Pinned from Etsy, $300
• DIY Planner Template - Pinned from Etsy, $10
• Le Creuset Signature 6-Piece Cookware Set - Pinned from Williams-Sonoma, $500
• Babaghuri Teapot - Pinned from Analoguelife.com, $115
• Industrial Task Lamp - Pinned from West Elm, $79
Any first-hand reviews of Pinterest? Add them in the comments below.