Cucumber madness. We have been noticing that pickling is in the air a lot lately. Perhaps you haven't heard, but the end of summer is the beginning of canning and preserving season, and word has been spreading that the current "it" vege is the humble pickle.
- At a dinner party last night the verb "pickling" came up out of the blue and totally derailed a heated conversation about Bush/Kerry.
- A reader writes in that she "ended up painting [her] whole room "Dill Pickle." "
- Over at Sara Kate Cooks, she has (for the first time ever) started pickling and taken pictures.
- One of our clients, whose kitchen is getting redone, has made it a priority to provide plenty of space for pickling and is depressed that she is missing this season due to the renovation. However, she worries that this behavior isn't fit for the "cutting edge NYC social scene."
- And then we get an email tipping us off to Pickle Mecca: Rick's Picks down on Chrystie Street. Winner of the Rosendale International Pickle Festival two times running, Rick started his pickle operation in 1997 and now has a blog (The Daily Brine), a shop, an online shop and travels the country showing off his pickles. Flavors include: Windy City Wasabeans, Pepi pep peps, Phat Beets and Kool Gherks. If you visit, he'll give you a pickle. (Thanks, everyone!) MGR