- Location: online only
- Website: store.steelcase.com/go
- Founded: 1912
- Headquarters: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Workspaces aren't typically ahead of the curve on environmentalism (energy-sucking devices, throwaway paper cultures, constant upgrades of hardware and office furniture) so it's refreshing to see an office company taking a product's entire lifecycle into account, from its production to its recyclability.
We should clarify that C2C has levels of certification, like LEED, and they're only applied to products that meet a checklist of requirements. Not all Steelcase products meet these standards, but their big sellers—like the Leap Chair and Think Chair—do. The Think Chair, for instance, is made from up to 44% recycled content, up to 99% of it is recyclable, and it's Greenguard Indoor Air Quality Certified.
In addition to sustainability, products are designed for comfort and durability. Steelcase offers a limited 10-year warranty on all of its products. Their stuff isn't cheap; these are the kinds of pieces that you save up for.
Steelcase has an online store where you can buy selected items directly from them. They also work with a number of dealers, including Crate & Barrel, CSN Stores, Smart Furniture, Unica Home, and Sit4Less.com.
- C:Scape System (C2C Silver), various prices
- AP40 System, various prices
- Think Chair in 3D Knit (C2C Silver), on sale for $680
- Pile File, $800
- Avenir System, various prices
- Martin Desk in Maple Laminate, $550
- Cachet Chair in Black Swivel, $420
- Leap Chair in Leather with Aluminum Base, $1,650 (C2C Silver)
- Paper Table, $520
- Mobile Compact Laptop Support, $75