- Location: online only
- Website: papernoodle.com
- Founded by: Cheong-ah Hwang
- Headquarters: Columbus, Ohio
South Korean-born Cheong-ah Hwang makes "paper sculptures" from carefully layered cutouts that measure less than an inch deep, but appear to float within their frames. Shadows cast by the shapes give these storybook images depth and dimension. In Little Red Riding Hood, for instance, the jagged edges of the wolf's teeth and fur are sharp and clear against a white ground of birch trees.
Cheong-ah Hwang lives and works in Columbus, Ohio, where she shows in galleries and leads workshops in paper arts. She maintains an Etsy shop, where she sells original paper sculptures — with costs that reflect their time consuming process — and giclee prints of her bas relief images.
AVAILABLE THROUGH HER ETSY SHOP
• Little Red Riding Hood 8x10 Giclee Print, $30
• Alice Meets Caterpillar 8x10 Giclee Print, $30
• Snow White Unframed Paper Sculpture, $1,200
• Bookcase Framed Paper Sculpture, $1,500
For more from her portfolio, visit the artist's website: PaperNoodle.com.