This photo comes from the Italian hotel Masseria Torre Coccaro, an old converted farmhouse in Puglia. Although the room's country aesthetic isn't a style we're normally drawn to, we really like the way antique shutters are used to create a focal point behind the bed.
Minus the scalloped edge, a similar project could also work in a modern bedroom. It's easy to do and makes use of architectural materials that are commonly available at salvage shops. Depending on how stable the shutters are, they could be bolted to the wall (an easy fix for wobbly shutters) or (if they're more stable) to the bed. For tips on making a DIY headboard from salvaged materials, we've included some helpful links below.
OTHER DIY HEADBOARD IDEAS
• How to Make a Headboard from an Old Door
• Best DIY Headboard Inspiration 2009
• DIY King Size Headboard and Template
• DIY Glowing Headboard
• How to Make a DIY Headboard
• How to Make a DIY Tufted Headboard
• Eleven DIY Headboard Inspirations
• Two DIY Headboard Ideas from Home & Decor
Photo: Masseria Torre Coccaro / Mr. and Mrs. Smith