Deep in the dead of this cold, dark season, many of us struggle with the winter doldrums. The farther north from the equator you are, the more likely you are to have SAD, a condition suffered by 11 million Americans every year, which can be serious. But even if you aren't clinical, winter can get you down. Here are some fun ways to beat the winter blues.
1. Stay healthy. Depressive symptoms tend to increase after a viral illness, according to Dr. Charles Raison of Emory University on WebMD.
2. Bake cinnamon rolls. Try my ultimate cinnamon roll guide.
3. Light some candles.
4. Light a fire.
5. Drink some hot chocolate. Try making it from scratch with this recipe from Epicurious.
6. Eat chocolate.
7. Dig out the Christmas lights and hang them up again—inside.
8. Treat yourself to a luscious blanket, like this one from Restoration Hardware.
9. And/or luscious slippers. Perhaps a pair of Glerups?
10. Buy some fresh flowers.
12. Make a hot toddy (or seven).
14. Make a terrarium.
15. Get lost in a good book; try one from NPR's Best Books list.
16. Take a trip to the beach.