We love seeing skylights in small spaces. They're a great way to let in light and make a tiny room feel significantly larger. In the bathroom, they provide a sense of privacy (no one but the birds can peek inside), while in the kitchen, they create a sense of connection to the outdoors...
To prevent leaks, invest in waterproof flashing and a good contractor who can properly install the skylight. For more tips, see this article from AT.
• 1 Photo: Sylvia Martin for Southern Living
• 2 Christy and John's Logan Square Bungalow
• 3 Small Space Solutions from an Attic Apartment
• 4 Light-Filled Kitchen and Bath by Dan Brill Architects
• 5 Photo: Grey Crawford for Sunset Magazine
(Originally posted 3.20.09 - JL)