We found this list over at the National Fire Protection Association, and thought at first it'd be a checklist for when you host a sleepover, but actually it's a list of things to ask the parents who are hosting. Would you ask these questions?
There are two other sections to the checklist, but here are the questions you'd be asking:
• Are there working smoke alarms on every level, inside and outside each sleeping area? Are the alarms interconnected?
• Do they have a well-rehearsed fire escape plan that includes two ways out and a meeting place outside?
• Where will your child be sleeping? Is there a smoke alarm in the room? Are there two escape routes from the room?
• Will the parents walk through their escape plan with your child?
• Do the parents prohibit bedroom candle use by children?
These definitely seem like wise things to think about, but somehow we're doubtful our mom ever asked them when we were attending sleepovers. Will you?
View the complete checklist at NFPA.