When you have a dining room, throwing a dinner party is a no brainer. Set the table and you're done with it. But, when you have no dining room, your kitchen's tiny and your living room is your only option, you've got to great creative (see How to Fit a Dining Room Into a Small Space). Which is exactly what Loving Living Small did when she threw a dinner party!
- Let the coffee table double as the dining table. Guests can make themselves comfortable on the couch or sit on the floor.
- Instead of crowding the table with bottles, set up drinks at a convenient spot nearby. Ice and glasses mean that guests can help themselves.
- A folding table or an ottoman with a tray on it can hold extra food (or a panini press!)
- Go vertical: use a tiered serving piece, stack cake stands or improvise by stacking plates and glasses.
- For a "sit down" dinner party, keep the guest list small enough that everyone has a spot to sit.
- Consider fork dinners that don't require a knife if you worried that some of the guests may have to eat from their laps.
- Use cloth napkins. If food spills, cloth will catch food and prevent a disaster better than paper.
For more of her tips, see Loving Living Small | small space panini party.
Images: Loving Living Small
MORE SMALL SPACE DINING TIPS
How to Fit a Dining Room Into a Small Space