Here's a little trick for keeping small rooms from showing their size: the more floor you see, the bigger the room looks. (It's why designers recommend sofas and chairs with legs that lift off the floor.) You can use that principle anywhere —the bedroom, living room or outside — to justify taking your tables off the floor and hanging them from the ceiling instead.
Ceiling, of course, is a relative term. Outdoors, you might hang a casual dining table from a pergola, or hang small plant stands from tree branches. In fact, the "table" part isn't even a given. Your tabletop might have been a barn door or slab of wood in its past life. Really, all you need to get started is some string, a surface and some inspiration.
- DIY Wood Slab Bedside Table, The Merrythought
- DIY Floating String Table, Monsterscircus
- Round Hanging Floating Table, Hannah Lindell
- Hanging Table Installation, Sukha Amsterdam via Amsterdam Next
- Hanging Barn Door Table Inspiration, Green Wedding Shoes (Bob Vila offers a quick DIY here)
(Image credits: The Merry Thought; Monster's Circus; Hannah Lindell; Sukha Amsterdam by Jeltje Fotografie; Jess Barfield via Green Wedding Shoes)