Although benches are a subject that's been covered before on Apartment Therapy, we're always finding great new examples of these hard-working staples being put to use in homes...
What makes them work so well in a small space is their versatility. When you re-arrange your furniture, you can almost always find space for a bench: in the entryway, at the foot of the bed, in the bathroom, or repurposed as a coffee table.
One of our favorite uses is shown above, in the first photo from Emily and Jacob's home. At the dining table, a bench can fit more people than separate chairs, and it chops up the "sameness" of a complete set of identical dining chairs.
For a more thorough look at the homes shown above, click through the links:
• 1 Emily and Jacob's Poetically Photographed Home
• 2 Teresa, Colin & Lauren's Family Home
• 3 Meg and John's Big City Home
• 4 Chuck and Holly's High School Home
• 5 Jeff and Jennifer Isbell's 1970 Half-Circle Home
Photos: Emily Anderson, Sarah Coffey, Janel Laban, Chuck Anderson, Evan Thomas