Hanging curtains have been a crucial part of interior decor since ancient times. In the Renaissance, textiles could be very expensive, so they partly served as status symbols. Vermeer painted the same heavy tapestry curtain in the doors of a few of his paintings; art historians think it might have belonged to him (image 2).
1. Charlotte Moss design via Topsy Turvy
2. Johannes Vermeer, The Art of Painting (c. 1666-68) at the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, via essentialvermeer.com
3. Chateau de Lille
4. Curtains are popular space-dividers in studios, like in these next two images from Domino: Pinterest
5. Elizabeth Roberts' loft, photo by Melanie Acevedo for Domino
6. More Domino, via loft & cottage
7. Spicer & Bank
8. Vince's Flower District Home, Apartment Therapy House Tour
9. Pom-pom passementerie trim, via Greige
10. An arguably non-hippie-ish bead curtain, via Convoy
Would you ever get rid of your doors and replace them with curtains? Which is your favorite look?
Images: As linked above.