When thinking about small space solutions we often turn to transformative furniture, multi-purpose rooms, and pairing our belongings down. But when it comes to storage, sometimes we need to push it further and find space where we didn't realize we had any. Recessed storage is great for small spaces, where it can be found in niches, alcoves, under stairs — even between the studs!
1. Painted shelves built into an alcove, from SECRET BERBERE.
2. A tiled niche for shower product storage from Cary Bernstein Architect.
3. Shallow depth cabinets built into a wall, spotted on Desire to Inspire.
4. A custom teak linen cabinet and drawers recessed into a wall, from Boor Bridges Architecture.
5. Recess filled with firewood, from Made By Cohen.
6. Shelves in a shallow recess from Studio Marijke Schipper.
7. Niches, built-in shelves, and firewood storage from Desire to Inspire.
8. Wall-depth open pantry storage from Freunde von Freunden.
9. A tilt-down bed that hides away in a walnut-clad recess, from Studio Garneau.
10. A step cleverly extends to act not only as a bench, but also storage with a recess in the stair riser. From Studio Sarah Willmer Architecture.
(Image credits: SECRET BERBERE; Cary Bernstein Architect; Dana Gallagher/Desire to Inspire; Boor Bridges Architecture; Made By Cohen; Studio Marijke Schipper; Dominic Blackmore/Desire To Inspire; Freunde von Freunden; Studio Garneau; Studio Sarah Willmer Architecture)