• Nesting tables. These are a no-brainer for those of us living in tight spots. Keep them "nested" most of the time, and drag them out when you've got guests.
• Ottomans as bonus seating. A couple of small ottomans serve as comfy bonus seating, but most of the time, tucked up against a wall, they just add a nice balance to the space, serving the same function as a bench or console table.
• White ceilings. They open up the space and lend it a light, airy feel. If you don't like white, a good rule for ceiling paint is to mix your wall paint with white, half and half.
• Storage table. Using a trunk or a chest for a coffee table provides some much-needed storage to help you avoid clutter.
• Bottom-up window shades. In a small space, you need all the light you can get, but privacy is of course important too, since truly private space is at a premium in a small home. Bottom-up shades provide the best of both worlds.
(Images: Amoroso Design)