There's yet another vertical garden product on the market, SmartSlope, which is a fully functional and structural retaining wall that is also plantable. Because it can grow vegetation, it can turn what would typically be a hardscape into a greenscape and contribute to a more beautiful landscape.
Typically retaining walls rely on vast stretches of stone or concrete to terrace landscaping or define outdoor areas. SmartSlope can do that, but also double as a vertical garden. The SmartSlope modules stack up to 9-feet high without reinforcement, and provide a pocket on the front side of the module for planting. According to the company the retaining wall is easier to build than traditional concrete or masonry walls, and it becomes stronger as the roots grow behind the wall.
Other than being a beautiful exterior element, the SmartSlope has a few other environmental benefits:
- Reduces stormwater runoff
- Aides in erosion control
- Reduces heat island effect
- Creates and urban habitat
- Reduces disruption of existing vegetation
SmartSlope can be used for vegetable and herb gardens, succulent gardens, low maintenance plantings and more. For more information visit SmartSlope.
- Vertical Garden Tiles Turn Buildings Into Living Walls
- DIY Vertical Succulent Garden Panels by Flora Grubb
- Small-Scale Gardening: Woolly Pockets