Living in the desert has given me a new appreciation for the possibilities of solar technology. Though adding solar panels is not in the cards in this rental house, there are still ways to harness solar power to make any home or lifestyle more energy efficient. Here are a five solar powered gadgets that can help reduce your carbon footprint.
- Alarm clocks are an unfortunate reality of modern day life, but since they are a necessary evil at least an energy efficient option is available. This Solar Powered Radio Controlled Atomic Alarm Clock by Timex features a large liquid crystal display that shows time, month, date, day and indoor temperature. It sets itself automatically to the time signal from the US atomic clock, and automatically adjusts for Daylight Savings Time and standard time. Best of all it a has a built-in solar cell and rechargeable battery.
- For the music lovers among us, the Soulra Solar Powered Sound System by Etón offers an energy efficient way to play music from an iPod or iPhone. The rubberized case and aluminum body is splash proof making it perfect for summer parties by the pool. This solar powered dock has a rechargeable lithium ion battery pack but also allows for AC power input for those inevitable cloudy days.
- This Solar Address Light needs only 1.5 hours of sun every day to keep the numbers illuminated all night long. This address light is weatherproof and designed for year round use. The light turns on and off automatically; in daylight hours the numbers are white; at night, they glow red.
- The POWERplus Leopard is a univeral remote control that run on solar power versus battteries. The solar cell on this remote can be charged inside without direct sunlight; daylight or artificial light is enough to charge it fully which is a good thing given the that most remotes live their lives on the couch or coffee table.
- This Solar Powered Electric Razor was designed for travelers but could easily become an everyday staple, especially if you have a bathroom window that gets some sun. This type of small personal tech is ideally suited for solr powered innovation.