Name: Sophie and Nick with Ivy (5) and Sylvie (3)
Location: Stretford, Manchester, England
Size: 4 story, 5 bedroom house
Years lived in: 6 years; owned
I love to see homes where people have fun
and aren’t afraid to experiment with their decorating. This colorful family
home in Manchester, England is exactly that, as each room is a riot of color
and pattern. The living room features wallpaper with sprawling green leaves by
William Morris at Sanderson, one of the children’s rooms is accented with canary yellow
woodwork, and a rainbow striped stair runner winds its way through the entire house.
One of my favourite features is the stunning, recently fitted pink Art Deco bathroom suite. It's such a happy change to see someone
daring to veer away from regulation white. The house is home to Sophie, Nick and
their two young girls, Sylvie and Ivy, and must be a really fun house to grow up
in. They also have a very friendly cat called Winifred who accompanied me on
the tour and makes a few cameo appearances!
Apartment Therapy Survey:
decorative and resolutely stuck in the mid twentieth century.
Frank, a holiday in South America, the English seaside, old school rooms, natural
history museums and a fair bit of Scandinavia.
Favorite Element: The
high ceilings and original sash windows. We also love our pink American Wave
bathroom suite — bought on eBay for £100 (but we had to drive to Hull to get
Biggest Challenge: See
above — finding three big men to carry the massively heavy cast iron bath up
three flights of stairs.
Biggest Embarrassment: The kitchen — we still haven’t done it yet.
Proudest DIY: Putting
in reclaimed fireplaces and hearths in the dining/play room and lounge. Anything
that involved stripping paint or floorboards. Repairing the Victorian sash
Biggest Indulgence: Svenkst Tenn Josef Frank furnishing fabric.
We also find it hard to resist a nice secondhand sink in good condition — our
cellar is full of them.
Best Advice: Don’t hold back. If you love it, it will
find a home somewhere.
Tenn in Stockholm, second hand shops in Argentina and Amsterdam, French boot
fairs, Luna in Nottingham and Rennie’s Seaside Modern in Folkestone.
Resources of Note:
• paint – Farrow and Ball: cord
• runner - Malabar
• rug – The Braided Rug Company
• sofa, chairs and nesting tables - Ercol
• furnishing fabric and tray tables – Josef
Frank at Svenkst Tenn
• wallpaper – William Morris for Sanderson
• fireplace – Ribble Reclamation with
hearth by Twentieth Century Fireplaces
• paint – Fired Earth: Burnt Verdigris
• fireplace – eBay with hearth by Twentieth
• furniture – Levenshulme Antique Village
• 1930s school room prints and metal signs
– antique fairs
• units - Ikea
• furniture – mostly antique Victorian
• quilt – antique textile fair
• painting above bed – Mike Tarr
• pottery figures - Staffordshire
• paint – Fired Earth: Basswood
• bed – Terence Conran for Marks and
• curtains - Ikea
• map – antique shop
• lightshade – Danish Home Store,
• bed - Ikea
• wallpaper – assorted samples (inc.
Sanderson, Sandberg, Cole & Son)
• chair – antique fair, Whitstable
• pink bathroom suite – eBay
• tiles - Johnson
• floor tiles – Fired Earth
• paint – Farrow and Ball: Cornforth White
• mirror – antique shop, Whitstable
• lightshade – John Lewis
Thanks, Sophie, Nick, Ivy & Sylvie!
(Images: Rebecca Proctor)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.