As a freshman in college, we had a roommate that insisted on playing The Steve Miller Band when we turned out the lights. We would patiently wait until our bunkmate fell asleep and then tiptoe to the cd player and turn off the offending music. Until recently, we pretty much needed complete silence to fall asleep fast. But we have since discovered that quite a few things knock us out...
- The Homedics® SoundSpa Sound Machine from Bed Bath and Beyond. This little guy has six sounds to choose from; Ocean, Summer Night, Rain, Rain Forest, Waterfall and Natural Heartbeat. We prefer Ocean and the Heartbeat freaks us out a little but apparently it's for newborns.
- A Thunderstorm CD. Growing up in the south, thunderstorms happened often. We can fondly remember sitting in front of a window or nestled in bed listening to the rumbling thunder outside. Unfortunately, when we moved to sunny LA, we realized rather quickly that there were no more thunderstorms to be had. Our solution--a thunderstorm CD to fall asleep to.
- A fan and/or a space heater. In the summer, we fall asleep to a fan and during the colder months we fall asleep to our trusty space heater. These ambient noises drown out any sounds from our front street or neighbor racket that would keep us up otherwise.
- Our purring cat. When our pet cat, Garbo, decides to cozy up next to our head, her purring can be quite soothing (and just the thing we need to doze off).
- Music. Sometimes, we just need a playlist from our iTunes to fall asleep. Some all time favorite artists to drift off to are; Air, American Analog Set, The Garden State Soundtrack, Sufjan Stevens, Richard Swift, Maria Taylor and Bob Marley.
- AT Survey: Are You Cold In The Bedroom?
- What's Your Sleeping Style?
- Does Your Bedding Highlight Your Personality?