Back in college, I took a course in film music and one of the most interesting assignments was to compile a soundtrack to a day in my life. It was a great exercise because it forced me to see even the most mundane things (like walking to and from class) cinematically: what was the mood? What did the scenery look like? It was from this that I really began to understand how influential background music really is, as well as a newfound appreciation for everyday surroundings that I took for granted. Inspired by this, I decided to compile a soundtrack for my home. Take a look at my tracklist after the jump, and feel free to share some of your choices....
Morning: I'm definitely NOT a morning person, so I pretty much start the day off easing slowly into a state of alertness. (I once tried to start the day with Katrina & The Waves' Walkin' on Sunshine and I was surly until mid-afternoon). For me, slower music is great to just enjoy the a.m.: have coffee, let the dogs out the backyard, open the curtains, and not feel rushed even when I'm checking email or reading the news online.
- "Digest" by Ben Taylor, Another Run Around the Sun
- "Quiet Houses" by Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes
- "Take Your Time" by Al Green featuring Corinne Bailey Rae, Lay it Down
- "I Don't Mind" by Marcus Foster
- "Dirty Work" by Steely Dan, Can't Buy A Thrill
Afternoon: After a few hours of slugging through a collection of slow songs, it's time to bust out the one-minute dance parties to Chamillionaire...or these:
- "Ain't No Half-Steppin'" by Big Daddy Kane, Long Live the Kane
- "Check the Technique" by Gangstarr, Step in the Arena
- "Whatever Lola Wants" by Sarah Vaughan & Gotan Project, Verve Remixed 2
- "Train in Vain" by The Clash, London Calling
Evening: Time to wind down from work, start cooking dinner, and relax...
- "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon , Only By the Night
- "Hand on Your Heart" by José Gonzales, Crossesl
- "Down To Zero" by Bettye Lavette, I've Got My Own Hell to Raise
- "Remember When" by Missy Elliott, The Cookbook
- "Hearts a Mess" by Gotye, Like Drawing Blood
- "Little Martha" by The Allman Brothers Band, Eat A Peach
Got your own favorites? Share your own musical suggestions in the comments...