One of our favorite quotes from this chapter is: "Proactive people choose the things they want to spend their life doing and avoid the random demands of others."
Week three is when we start to prioritize what we want in our homes, how we want to spend our time and how we want to live. We ask ourselves: Do I love it? Do I use it? Does my apartment need it? We got a taste of how it feels to make space last week when we cleaned out our kitchens; keep that momentum going, it's so worth it!
• Vacuum, dust and mop your whole place: Get the energy going and note where you have a blockage in the flow of your apartment (this is where you have to really move furniture around to get into different corners).
• Clean your entrance and start a landing strip: This is huge and will go a long way towards organizing your home. At minimum you'll need a hook and a flat surface: somewhere to hang your bag/coat/hat and somewhere to set down mail, keys, loose change (and pretty flowers!).
• Toss all old mail, catalogs and magazines: put them in your outbox and cancel the ones you know you don't read.
• Schedule to have all repairs done!
• Identify Cool Rooms and Warm Rooms: Seek to have both in your apartment. Bedrooms tend to be cool while kitchens are warmer. Make it work for you. You're striving for balance and variety to make your space feel bigger and more alive.
• Apply the 80/20 Color rule: This means 80% neutral and 20% color in any given space so that color isn't competing.
• Cook 2 meals at home this week: Head over to the kitchn for some ideas.
• Figure out your housewarming invitation
One Room Remedy
• Research your shopping list: Start sourcing where you will buy what (and don't forget to check in with le swap for things that other curees are getting rid of!
• Start a list of changes you want to make: committing things to paper makes them more real and makes you accountable!
• Do you need curtains or blinds?
• Call in the big guns: Figure out what you need a professional or a handyman for. Be realistic about how much you'll be able to do yourself and then ask for help!
posts on landing strips
lots of color inspiration
Some posts on clutter
Ideas for your party invitation
Introducing Le Swap: if you have something you know you're getting rid of, or have something you're looking for, check here first and see if another Curee has it or wants it!
Keep uploading pictures so that we can post your progress!